Translate

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Underdog Rocks and the story behind my love of this Hero

Back in 2007, Disney studios came out with a movie about a classic cartoon hero named "UNDERDOG". Now I personally was very excited about this movie because I was a huge fan of the cartoon when I was a kid. I watched it everyday when I got home from school. This was back in the early 80's when they still aired the old cartoons like Spider-man, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Tennessee Tuxedo, etc.
  Underdog was my favorite out of these shows and he was my personal hero. To this day I still root for the "underdogs" in the world. Be it political groups or one-man start-up organizations, or any group that strives to go beyond what the big machines turn out.
  Now my biggest fandom came from Underdog's theme song. It was really a cool little tune and I really enjoyed hearing it.  Granted when the Disney movie came out they did their own versions of the song. This honestly was one of the few shinning moments of the movie. The film unfortunately didn't really take the concept of Underdog to his potential and honestly made it far to silly and comical for my taste. The big favorite for me was the opening introduction of the movie where we see scenes from the original cartoon and a new version of the UNDERDOG Theme.
 Now I personally liked the new theme and I was hoping to get a hold of the song when the soundtrack came out. Sadly when I went looking for it, the song wasn't on the album. There was a rap-like mix on the album by Kyle Massey. I later found out through internet chatter that the song was performed by the band Plain White T's. I then began searching for versions of the song online through audio groups and YouTube. By now the song had been dubbed "Underdog Rocks" by Plain White T's Underdog Rocks,  but there was still no way to download the full song anywhere online or in the store and the soundtrack for the movie still doesn't have the song available. Through my searching I came upon a blog entry about this subject and read it and found I was not the only one bothered by this.

The Underdog Theme

 To this end I have decided to take this to the Plain White T's themselves and see if I can get an answer to this question. I'm hopeful that they will be able to supply me with a better answer to this and maybe a way to find this elusive and desired track of music.

Hello,
 I was interested in discovering the reason behind and un-released song.
  It is well known that the intro to the movie UNDERDOG as well as several scenes of the movie are accompanied by a version of the original Underdog theme Sung by The Plain White T's.
 This version of the song was not released on the movie soundtrack. Can you explain why this song isn't available?
 It is referred too online as the "Underdog Rocks" song by Plain White T's.
 Do you actually have information surrounding this un-released track and why it hasn't been released in full?  There are many fans not just of the band but also of the movie and the original TV show theme music that are very interested in finding a complete version of this track.
  It would be most generous if you could make this song available for purchase.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment