Translate

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Transformers: My all-time favorite comics

        I've been a fan of Transformers since I was a kid in Grammer school.. I don't remember exactly when I first became a real fan. But I do remember when I got my first toy of a Transformer.  It was on a St. Nicholas Day back in the 80's I could probably figure it out but i'm too caught up in the subject now, I'll post it later.  The Transformer was the Autobot Prowl. He has been my favorite ever since.
  I honestly liked the toys but I LOVED the comics when I discovered them a year later. One of the kids in my class brought a few to school and I knew I had to see it. I went to the local comic shop (which is the same on I use today), and bought my first Transformer comic. I began collecting them after that and soon had more comics then I had toys. I also became a fan of the TV series following it as it went, catching as many episodes as I could, especially re-runs.
   Since my youth I have always been a fan, and to this day I still collect the comics and watch the TV series that are on now. Though I stayed away from the more "kiddy" type shows involving the Transformers, I have embraced the movies and more adult aspects of the subject matter.
  I regret that I haven't really experienced the video games and card games of the subject, but that was never really my style. The mythos and stories of the Transformers was always my biggest draw. I see them a in a way kids see Greek Gods and Heroes. They are Legendary in the aspect of their size, strength, duty, spirit and wars. There really is some magnificent tales involving the Transformers, in both comic and novel forms.  Especially when you find a particular character that hasn't really been drawn, but you can picture what they look like in your minds-eye.
  What's really interesting about the Transformers is the variance in what they look like.  There have been so many artist's rendering of them that you almost can always find a favorite because of how it looks and the characteristics it shows.  So many different and talented artists have worked on the Transformers comics, tv shows, toys, movies and cards that you can find 5-20 different forms of your favorites and even ones you never new existed.

  In more recent years, the series has gone through major changes and re-vitalization's. Different publishers of comics have had rights to the subject of the Transformers and written their own style of mythos behind the giant robots. Even created new types that didn't exist before and allowed their writers to re-tell the stories from the original series or create their own new stories relating to current events happening around our planet. In essence creating a new universe for the Transformers to exist in beyond their original story. In the same way the movies and TV shows have expanded the universe and the variance of the Transformers story into something completely new and exciting tale of adventure.
       I truly hope and pray the series never ends and continues growing.

 Now, in the matter of the Video Games of Transformers. Most have never really been that exciting. though with the advancement of gaming tech, new games have come out that take us to a new level of enjoyment. What I would love to see more than anything is a new fighting game using the Transformers.  It should be in the same class as Marvel Vs. Capcon or Mortal Kombat, but be done in a styling in reference to 2 games that were popular arcade and console titles Tech Romancer and Virtual-On: Cyber Troopers.    
   Something that existed in the Transformers universe was that no two robots were the same. Each had different abilities and skills that made them unique to a specific task or fighting style.  This has changed over the years with the different writing and story-lines that  have been created, but nonetheless the same principle has always been there.   This could play out very well in a fighting game. Each character could be portrayed on the side they fight for and you can select the characters and fight either the A.I. Or against a friend in the room or online.  The atmosphere is very hot right now for fighting games and this would be a new take on a classic subject.
   Not to mention that Marvel Vs. Capcon and Mortal Kombat, employ bringing in characters that are not from their particular game/story history in order to add a new element to the fight. So why not bring in other robots to the fight. I think this would be a great concept to add plus allows for a plethora of DLC and multiple game titles for new and growing fans.

  When it comes down to it, like other series like Star Wars and Star Trek, Transformers has stood the test of time and marketing to come out of the 1980's and 90's to stand now in the 2000's as a popular and relevant interest.









No comments:

Post a Comment